Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I gave my 7 pound Chihuahua 1/10 of a ibuprofen pill 2 hours

Customer Question
ago. Do I need to...
I gave my 7 pound Chihuahua 1/10 of a ibuprofen pill 2 hours ago. Do I need to take her to the ER?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. If you gave your dog 1/10 of a standard 200 mg tablet that would be 20 mg and you probably will be ok .....see chart below:

Ibuprofen Dose and Associated Signs or Outcomes in Dogs* Dose Associated Signs or Outcomes

25–125 mg/kg Vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, anorexia

> 175 mg/kg All of the above plus hematemesis, melena, polyuria or polydipsia, oliguria, uremia, acute renal failure

> 400 mg/kg All of the above plus seizures, ataxia, coma, shock

> 600 mg/kg Death *Source: Adapted from Villar, D. et al.: Ibuprofen, aspirin and acetaminophen toxicosis and treatment

So your dogs dose was well below even the top dosing so likely she will be fine but do not give Ibuprofen to your dog again as it can be very toxic and has very narrow range of safety not to mention that it can cause gastric or stomach ulcers.

If you have additional questions let me know. SIncerely, DRB

PLease hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

25mg/kg in your dog is about 79 mg and that is way above what you gave......but she could experience vomiting, diarrhea and nausea. If you don't see any GI signs then she is probably going to be fine.....just don't give her anymore as it could really hurt her kidneys and liver. Sincerely, DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dee. How is everything going?
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian