Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog has recently (last couple of days) been whining and

Customer Question
My Dog has recently (last...
My Dog has recently (last couple of days) been whining and crying about 20 minutes after he eats. He also shakes. It does pass after about 30 minutes and he seems fine until the next meal. He is a small dog a minpin about 11 yrs old and 12 lbs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux, GERD, heartburn) needs to be considered in such a patient. I would see how an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb 1/2 hour prior to feeding affects him. Hopefully his behavior is transient and will remiss even unaided after a week or so. If not, the antacid can be continued if it were effective or his upper gastrointestinal tract could be X-rays or ultrasounded in an attempt to better understand its health. We do need to be concerned about more serious disorders such as neoplasia (cancer) in his esophagus and stomach.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you. It is very odd behavior for him.. he does appear to be in pain. he kinda just stands or lays there and shakes and whines..

Sounds like me when I forget to take my antacid. It would be unlikely to reflect a serious GI disorder if it passes so quickly only to recrudesce (relapse without cure in between events) at the next mealtime. I would very much like to know how the antacid affects him. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Took him to the vet. They believe he was having spasms in his neck. The bending to eat irritated the muscles. He did hit the screen door a week or so ago pretty hard. I did not think much about it but after she asked I can see how it could be. So he is on valium gabapeten and an anti inflammatory for 2 weeks. He seems much better and no more whining

Thank you for the good update. When examined did hyperflexion and hyperextension of his neck cause pain? If so, that would suggest cervical degenerative or traumatic disk disease (a "slipped disk") in his neck. The medications are those described for a disk and they appear to be doing the trick. I never argue with success.

we think he injured it when I open the glass sliding door and our screen door was still closed and he ran right into it face first we are going to get him an elevated food bowl so he doesn't have to bend over to eat so much and go from there

Ouch! Yes, that sounds good.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian