Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our dog a chesapeake bay retriever who has been an inside

Customer Question

our dog a chesapeake bay retriever who has been an inside dog all her life with us has taken to living outside and will not come upstairs except to eat and then departs downstairs and stays out all night. she is just over 10 yrs & to the best of our knowledge has had no bad experiences to trigger this obsessive behaviour. we live now on macleay island which has a bad reputation for paralasis ticks and for 10 mths wore a collar but 10 weeks ago we changed on vets advice to an oral medicine called nexgard & this is the only change in her regimen. we are really worried as her normal nighttime was to start with an hour sleeping on our pillows then would leave the bed and sleep under our bed directly under my head which is a very close relationship & this behavour is very upsetting to say the least. your diagnosis would be appreciated regards arch & june lauder
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your sweet Puddy is that there may be a medical condition causing this drastic change in behavior. it may be that Puddy has become frightened by something causing this obsessive behavior and the only way to change this is to follow these instructions:

They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get her over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Puddy realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making your dog comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.
If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help her past this. Take Puddy to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose her to the things she fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx

Because of Puddy's age, this could be more serious so have your vet check her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Arch & June,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Puddy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta