Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a spot on s nose.

Customer Question
My dog has a brown...
My dog has a brown spot on his nose.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It's not unusual for there to be pigment changes in the nose pad of dogs. Most commonly it will be a loss of pigment but occasionally pigment will appear in a pale palate. 2-5 years of age is a common time for this to happen. As long as there are no other signs of disease process we accept this as being a normal change.

There are some systemic and skin conditions that can cause this but usually it is fairly obvious if this is the case. Rarely a condition called Vitiligo occurs where there is pigment loss over the whole body. This is quite obvious. Inflammatory skin conditions (contact allergies) and autoimmune disease that cause a reaction at the border between the nose pad and the skin can also cause depigmentation. In these case s there will be irritation or severe crusting and cracking of the nose pad and skin behind it....also quite obvious.

As long as there is no crusting/ cracking, rubbing, redness then I would advise taking a photo of the nose today with a coin or ruler next to it to monitor the subtle changes that we might miss and if it does appear to be progressing then having a veterinary exam to ensure there is nothing else going on that requires medical intervention

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian