Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 95 lb lab ate a bottle of glucosamine joint support. He

Customer Question
My 95 lb lab ate...
My 95 lb lab ate a bottle of glucosamine joint support for dogs. He ate almost the entire bottle wich is 120 count of chewablet tablets. Should I get him somewhere?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds(3 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Luckily these are not going to be toxic at this quantity and has a wide range of safety. If he is a healthy 4 year old Lab he may experience vomiting/ diarrhea/ gi upset for 24-48 hours but he should be fine otherwise. Ideal is to remove it from his system to minimize any further side effects but often this typically results in gi upset more than anything else...

If you are unable to induce vomiting and he does show signs of illness lasting more than 24 hours I would advise a veterinary exam to determine if medical intervention is warranted.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am checking in to see if you were able to induce vomiting with Boone? I would love an update when you are able...

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

I am online another hour tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both...

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about Boone. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian