Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got kennel cough, symptoms showed up 48 hrs ago, last

Customer Question
evening she was coughing so...
My dog got kennel cough, symptoms showed up 48 hrs ago, last evening she was coughing so bad I took her to emergency vet, her temp was 103.8. X-rays done, slight pneumonia, one dose of antibiotics given and hydrocodone. At 7:00 am her temp was down to 102.0 and now 4 hrs later her temp is 100.7. Is this bad
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Ziva has pneumonia. Luckily a temperature of 100-102.5 is normal for her. The antibiotics they send home may be causing her reduced appetite today so you can try cooking something bland yet bulking to her stool such as white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken.

You can also give her pepcid (famotidine) over the counter at 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours about 30 minutes prior to attempts to feed to settle her stomach a bit.

But I would be happy with that temperature in one of my patients after a bout of a fever at 103.8 last night and now we simply have to find something to entice her appetite to get her strength back and her feeling better.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian