Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8lb dog accidentally ate my 12lb heart patient dogs meds

Customer Question
30 min ago after my...
My 8lb dog accidentally ate my 12lb heart patient dogs meds 30 min ago after my 12lb dog spit them out.
The 8lb took 2.5 mg vetmedin, 10mg furosemide, and 2.5mg benazepril. I tried sticking my finger down his throat to induce vomiting and didn't work then I tried yo give him 1tsp hydrogen peroxide but hasn't worked either.
Will he die? He is not a heart patient.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand your concern for Dewey. And, while peroxide works for most dogs to induce vomiting, as you found out, it doesn't work for all of them.

Since Dewey is so close in weight to the 12 lb dog for whom the pills were intended, I wouldn't expect any significant concerns....certainly no toxicity issues and certainly no fatality!

You might see some gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting (within another few hours or so) or diarrhea or disinterest in food. Dewey might become lethargic or drink more water but these are side effects which might be seen in any patient who is taking these drugs.

A one time ingestion of these pills not intended for him shouldn't pose a problem, I'm happy to say.

I hope this reassures you about him. Deb

this medicine won't damage his heart even though he is not a heart patient?

Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to take phone calls and hope that this format is acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

No, the heart won't be damaged by taking these drugs. Patients without heart disease can be prescribed Benazepril and Furosemide for other, non-cardiac related conditions.

Vetmedin is primarily a cardiac drug but a one time ingestion isn't going to cause any problems.

Deb

The hydrogen peroxide did make him vomit but I could only see his breakfast

I'm sorry if I misunderstood about the peroxide being effective.

It's quite possible that some (or the majority) of the pills weren't absorbed then and were just mixed in with his breakfast...especially if he vomited very soon after ingestion of them. Deb

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dewey. How is he doing today? Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dewey. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian