Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been throwing up on and off couple of days. Last

Customer Question
My dog has been throwing...
My dog has been throwing up on and off for a couple of days. Last night he threw up 3 different times and the 2nd time was a larger foreign object. He acts a little different but not realy. I'm not sure if I should wait it out or got to the vet when they open
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I guess going to the vet depends on what that foreign object was and if you hind there is more n there? Was it a toy or clothing or something where he may still have parts of the whatever it is in his stomach or more of the same item...like if it was a sock...did he maybe eat more than one? If you think there could be more in there, then YES I would definitely recommend going to the vet ASAP. If it is still in hi stomach they have a chance of getting it out without major surgery. If the foreign material moves into the intestine and gets stuck, this requires surgery.

If you don't think he ate anything more and the one thing he threw up was the problem, then just do this....

- get him on 10 mg Pepcid ac twice per day

- feed small meals of wetted down dog food...like maybe 1/4 what he normally eats or feed a bland diet like cooked white rice and boiled boneless skinless chicken breasts. Feed 1/4 cup of a 50:50 mix every few hours. No big meals and no treats.

If the vomiting or dry heaving continues despite this, then take him in to see a vet. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian