Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an English Bulldog who has little "bumps" on her. She

Customer Question

I have an English Bulldog who has little "bumps" on her. She had this one other time and we tried EVERYTHING but nothing ever helped. We tried different shampoos and Ivermectin and I can't remember what else but it was so many things. It just eventually went away. I'm wondering if Prednisone may help her. That was about a year ago and now it's starting again.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your bulldog. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Hello... are you there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, I'm well thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I here
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Good... glad you're there. I have some really important information to pass along to you.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

First, to answer your question directly... yes, prednisone is very likely to provide relief for you bulldog. I say that because everything you are describing (especially the part about trying a lot of things that didn't work), sounds like your bulldog has allergies.

That being said, however, allergies are kind of a "trump card" for managing allergies. They're cheap. They always work, but they are absolutely NOT safe for long term use.

That makes allergy management complicated.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'll continue, assuming your dog does indeed have allergies. Your vet would need to confirm this.

It's important to emphasize we never CURE allergies; we only relieve the symptoms. Whenever a dog with allergies is around whatever he's allergic to, he will show symptoms. These symptoms vary from dog to dog, but all types of itchy rashes and bumps are common. Bulldogs are especially prone to skin problems and allergies.

Even though prednisone will always provide relief of skin problems caused by allergies, it's not safe to use it for the long term. That means responsible veterinarians will do lots of other things to avoid using any more prednisone than is absolutely necessary.

As I said, it can be very complicated, and every patient is different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Since this went away before after several attempts with other things, I was hoping to just keep it from getting too bad. I'm a Bulldog breeder and have been for about 8 yrs, also a nurse. I have a partner who has Addison's disease so we have Prednisone and Methylprednisolone here at the house. I don't know if it's the same as dog Prednisone.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I would encourage you to work with a good local veterinarian who is comfortable dealing with allergies and doesn't simply throw steroids at them. A vet like this will most likely book 1-hour appointments (at least) for a dog coming in for an allergy consultation. In many areas of the country you may have access to a board-certified veterinary dermatologist. That can oftentimes be the shortest route to a good plan of management for a bulldog with allergies.

Is it the same as dog prednisone?

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The answer to that is yes, it is. I understand you're only asking because you want to help your dog, but the fact remains it would be illegal and unethical for me to give you prescribing advice for a dog I've never seen. Choosing to self-medicate your dog with a prescription drug should be especially out of the question since I just got done saying it is NOT safe even under the best of circumstances.

That being said... there is the possibility an over-the-counter antihistamine might work.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is already on 3 antihistamines daily.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

We turn to antihistamines (among other drugs) quite often when managing allergic skin problems and hives (it sounds like your bulldog has hives as a specific type of allergic skin problem). We do this to minimize our reliance on prednisone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you can't help me with this problem. I wish I would have known that prior to paying.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Okay... two thoughts on the fact she is already on three antihistamines daily:

• there is no medical reason to use multiple anthistamines. If your vet has recommended doing that, he/she is certainly not up to speed on current and effective therapeutic recommendations for allergies.
  • if your dog is already on three antihistamines per day and has broken out with an allergic skin reaction or hives, then you have a serious condition.

It also means these anthistamines are probably not doing anything at all for her. That's what I was about to say is the number one problem with antihistamine use in dogs. You usually have to try five or six before finding one that works for your dog.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Sorry.... I' typing as quickly as I can.

Yes... I can help you with this problem. I'm just not certain you like the help I am providing. If I gave you prescribing information for your dog for prednisone, it's quite likely it would be harmful. I don't think that's really what you're looking for.

I *can* offer you information about how we safely and effectively manage a dog with allergies.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Are you interested in continuing, or do you wish to ask for a refund?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to request a refund. It makes more sense for me to take her to the Vet who can actually look at her. I'm sorry to waste your time
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you well enough to earn your good rating. Please click on customer service for help with your refund.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

One final things you may find helpful. The first is a link to an article I often use with my pet owners and patients that describes the complex medical options we use to manage allergies. It may also help you to know that drugs like Atopica, Apoquel, and PTX (pentoxifylline) have been life-changing for many patients, and not all veterinarians are familiar with them or how to use them.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=31&A=599&S=2&EVetID=900000116