Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Maltese mix adult dog is having frequent loose stools

Customer Question
Hi. My Maltese mix adult...
Hi. My Maltese mix adult dog is having frequent loose stools with blood in it. I've had to discontinue his insurance because of job loss. PLEASE HELP!! What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand your financial constraints. You're limited to what you can do without your dog's vet's help but you should begin by presumptively administering an over the counter anthelminthic such as fenbendazole (Panacur) which will address all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. You can find fenbendazole in many pet/feed stores near you or online such as here: http://www.amazon.com/Panacur-Canine-Dewormer-4-gram/dp/B000296N7S I suggest your dosing it daily for 7 consecutive days. These parasites are common causes of Texas dog's symptoms. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian