Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I found a Pit mixed puppy about 5 to 7 months old. I have

Customer Question
I found a Pit Bull...
I found a Pit Bull mixed puppy about 5 to 7 months old. I have taken her to several vets. The following information is what I have rec'd. 1st - by looking at her teeth they advised me of a round about age. 2nd - They gave her an antibiotic called: CEPHALEXIN 250 MG, 1 capsule by mouth twice daily for 14 days. It is for her hook worms, a raspy cough as if she was out of breath but deeper and hard sounding, a puppy rash between her hind legs and a minor ear infection. She has 3 capsule's left. She also has a problem walking. They said that it could be because whom ever had her kept her in a metal cage and that's most likely why she walks like she is uncoordinated and very unbalanced (Like Bambi on ice). One of the vets said that her trachea was damaged and that she may have nerve damage that is affecting her legs.
I really need help! I just want to give her a chance to have a GREAT life.
Any information or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Kim and my rescue puppy I names Bella.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I will try to help Bella this evening.

First I just want to clarify her symptoms so that I can get a clearer picture of what we are dealing with:

1) hookworms (intestinal parasite)- what medication was she given for this? Cephalexin doesn't kill worms

2) raspy cough, possibly damaged trachea

3) rash between her legs

4) ear infection

5) problem walking

Does this sound about right?

Was the cephalexin for the rash, ear infection and cough? Where did she come from in the first place (foundling, puppy mill, other)? What history makes you think she was kept in a metal cage?

How is she eating and drinking? Is she gaining weight like a normal dog? Is she able to walk fairly well even though she is wobbly? Can she control her urine and bowels?

I am sorry but I cannot take a phone call this evening due to restrictions on my license, but I will be happy to continue chatting with you in this forum until all of your questions have been answered.

Please let me know the answers to the above questions so that I can get a clear picture of what is going on with Bella.

Thanks,

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr. Amanda,Yes, all 5 questions you ask are right. Also the medication I was told that it was for the rash, ear infection, cough and pet the vet it was also for the hook worms, which you just advised that it doesn't fix that problem.As far as her back ground history I don't have much to go on. I was at a gas station and she ran up to me and then sat down and make a little crying sound. She has the most amazing disposition and just wanted love and attention. She had a yellow rope around her neck and looked like she got loose from something. I checked her out to see if she was in pain or bleeding and she seemed ok. So I put her in my car and took her to the vet's office by my home. The vet tech looked her over and gave me an over all evaluation of what he thought was wrong with he. He said that because of the way her paws were speed apart, he said that she most likely was kept in a metal cage and that may be why she was so small and she also looked like she was not feed to often because of how slim she was.She is eating and drinking fine.
I've only had her for a week but she does look like she is gaining weight.
The walking seems to be one of the biggest issues. It's worse than just wobbly, she has a extremely hard time getting on her feet and most of the time she walks ok but does loose her balance at times.
She has control of her urine and bowel movements ( as if she was trained) and she goes regularly.
She is extremely friendly so I had her check to see if she had a tracking chip but she does not and I have advised the human society of her where about in case her owner lost her. But everyone keeps telling me she was abandoned.Hope this answers your questions and if you have any more I'll answer them if I can.Please let me know what you think.Thank you,KIM

Okay, thank you for the added information. That helps a lot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would like to talk on the phone but can't afford it so we have to keep typing.

A few more questions- when she walks, does she raise her legs too high like a goose? Does she seem to have problems figuring out where to place her feet when she is walking? When she is eating, does her head bob? Does she have trouble getting her face into her bowl?

Here is a link to a condition called cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens (I know you have a puppy) but I am wondering if that is what we are dealing with.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3038

Is her skin and ear infection improving since starting the meds?

Also, since you have financial concerns, Do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital open to the public that is usually less expensive than general practices. You also can consider Care Credit. This is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets. Lastly, the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to folks who want to help others with their vet bills. Check that page out at https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If pay the additional $18.00 can you and I speak on the phone?

I am really sorry, but I cannot talk on the phone due to restrictions on my veterinary license. I can continue in this forum, though, until all of your questions are answered. Dr. A

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem lets continue forum. Give me a few minutes to answer your questions.

Okay. I'm here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
O.K.: your 1st questions - NO
2nd question not really, it's more like her leg(s) give out, but not all the time when she's walking.
3rd question -NO
4th question -NO
5th question - I think soShe does have a very hard time getting on her feet from a laying position, It's as if she is a new born or just 1 to 2 months old.
Please note I do have tile in the house so I do think it makes it harder for her.When I walk her her doesn't have too much of a problem but sometimes her legs seem to give out on her but not to the extrem that she falls. She doe have that raspy out of breath or thresty brething/cough.

Has her ability to walk changed at all since she has come to live with you? How is her muscle mass? Is it improving since she started eating well?

I am thinking that it sounds like a neuromuscular disorder where her muscles and nerves are not talking properly with each other. It could also be in her brain and her cerebellum (the part of the brain that controls coordination).

The coughing is likely a different problem. Has she been coughing since you got her? I would wonder about kennel cough, which, in severe cases, can lead to coughing for several weeks after infection. She could have also inhaled some vomit leading to pneumonia which is slowly resolving.

You may want to consider calling a local animal neurologist. If they train residents (students) you may be able to have Bella seen at no cost. You will have to explain your situation, though, and try to convince them to see her. You can find a neurologist near you at acvim.org.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've only had her for less the 2 wks and it seems her walk is about the same and yes the coughing she has had it since she founf me.I thank you for your opion and all the information you have provided me.I would like to know if you think that I should get her vaccination shots(I don't know if she has had them done) and do you think that X-Rays may help to see any problems in her legs and trechea, even though you think it's a neuromusculer disorder or should I not waste $ on that?

I would be hesitant to spend the money on x-rays until you have a chance to talk to a neurologist.

I think vaccines would be okay. You can get very low cost vaccines at your local humane society.

I am getting ready to log off for the night, but I will be back on-line in the morning.

Good luck and we can talk more tomorrow.

Dr. A

Good morning, do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A

How is your pup this evening? Is her coughing improving? Were you able to find a neurologist near you?

Also, if you could please consider our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dr. A

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SHE PASSED AWAY LAST NITE.

Oh, my! I am so sorry to hear that she passed last night! It is so hard to watch them go when we have no idea what was wrong. The best thing that you can keep in your heart is that she died knowing the love of a wonderful person, not abandoned, tied on a rope or caged.

Are there any other questions that I can help you with?

Please know that you are in my heart this tough evening.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian