Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog had surgery today. She swallowed two cannulas from my

Customer Question

My dog had surgery today. She swallowed two cannulas from my husbands diabetic trash in trash can. One in her intestine was,removed. The other pocked through her stomach and is stuck inside her liver. They couldnt remove it. Habe you ever seen a case like this and can a dog live with a pin in his liver???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Elise. Foreign material from the intestinal tract can penetrate and then migrate through the abdominal cavity / organs there. I personally have had a case where a dog ate a wooden skewer that had penetrated through the stomach, migrated out of it, and then was discovered as it migrated out of the abdominal wall. In a situation like this with her, where is that pin going to go? If may stay in the position where it is and not move. As long as it is sterile, hasn't an infection associated with it, the body could just fibrous and scar it down in the area that it is in. Could it continue to migrate? That is the consideration. What could it move through and cause a potential problem with? That is totally up in the air. What clinical signs was she having going into the surgery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate 2 cannulas from my husbands diabetic waste. The one in her intestine was removed. The other penetrated the stomach and is stuck in her liver. We believe they were in there for a few days. She was squealing in pain. She couldn't jump up as normal . Aside from that no vomiting, fever,or loss of appetite. She had surgery at noon today. She seems ok so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Bruce
Did your case penetrate the liver ? A cannula is so fine. Can it cause liver failure
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Mine didn't specifically penetrate the liver, but if that canula is "sterile" it may be in that tissue as a benign object. As long as it didn't drag bacteria into the tissue and doesn't migrate through structures of importance - major vessels, bile ducts, gall bladder etc.., then it has the chance of being a benign object in that tissue.