Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs poop is yellow and about the consistency of Apple

Customer Question
sauce...
My dogs poop is yellow and about the consistency of Apple sauce
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

Has Maia had a fecal exam recently?

Any vomiting?

How is her appetite and activity level?

Any blood in the stool?

No vomiting and she had a fecal exam a week ago and was fine. The diarrhea started early yesterday morning. We didn't feed her until this morning to give her system a chance to reset and we fed her chicken and rice.

Thanks for the information. It is possible that this could just be due to something she ate, even a change in diet or treats. With the yellow color, though, I would still be concerned about a potential liver or pancreatic problem causing her to not be able to digest her food properly. I also tend to get a little concerned about a protozoal infection call Coccidia. It can usually be found in a fecal exam, but the cysts are very small and sometimes don't start shedding immediately. It doesn't hurt to add a teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to see if that will firm up the stool, but if the diarrhea continues through tomorrow, gets worse at any time, develops blood; or if she is not eating, vomiting or has a decrease in activity level at any time; I would recommend having her seen by a vet before Monday. You always want to be careful when dealing with vomiting or diarrhea in young puppies. They get dehydrated very quickly and don't tolerate chronic diarrhea or vomiting very well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian