Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

How do I fix a dog's constipation. He is eating grass and

Customer Question

how do I fix a dog's constipation. He is eating grass and when he dries to go outside it strains and nothing comes out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am small animal veterinarian:) Is McGee feeling okay otherwise? Are you seeing less passing of stool or no passing at all? Any decreased appetite or vomiting seen? If so, McGee may need to see his regular vet to rule out any underlying reason for the constipation. This is especially so if he is straining and vocalizing, or if any vomiting or lethargy are seen.

But if he is feeling okay and eating normal with slower intestinal tract, there are a few remedies you can try at home. I would increase overall hydration to increase water content in the intestines. If he is on a dry kibble diet, I would mix in a canned version of the same diet and/or add water to the dry kibble. You can also feed 2-3 teaspoons of canned pumpkin (no sugar or preservative added) once daily to see if stools improve. You can also call his doctor and request he/she prescribe an over the counter course of stool softener for dogs such as Lactulose.

Mild constipation on its own can sometimes be relieved at home but it often signals an underlying problem. If you sense this is the case, it is better to be safe and let your regular DVM help you. But if it is a minor problem, try these tips for a day or two and if no improvement, then you can take him in.. I hope this is helpful to you:)

Hello again..If my advice helped you with McGee and he is feeling better. If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mcgee. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett