Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been shaking s head day I look in ear has what

Customer Question

My dog has been shaking his head for a day I look in ear has what looks like running wax coming out the ear I want to know if I can use an ear med I from earlier this year on him Ciprodex .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if you are just seeing wax, then this isn't indicative of an infection and therefore we'd not rush to use Ciprodex here. Instead, you may want to first gently flush ears with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) or a solution of salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) a few times daily. This will loosen and help remove wax for Benji. It is also an ear safe mild antiseptic that will reduce any early stages of bacterial infection.

Furthermore, I would note that that would be the ideal course of action. Especially if he has not had his ear examined more recently. This is because we must tread with care when using ear based antibiotic/steroid treatments. Specifically, if his ear drum is ruptured (which is one of the things vets assess when they scope ears), this medication shouldn't be put into the ear. This is because without the protective ear drum, we can see the medication leak into the middle ear. If it does so, there is a risk of ear pain, redness, and otoxicity (which can lead to deafness, dizziness, wobbliness, and sometimes even seizures). So, this is why we'd especially not rush to use it here without hint of infection.

Overall, saline flushing would be the safest option at this stage with what you have reported for Benji. If he doesn't settle, you can consider trying the Ciprodex for a week, but do monitor very closely for those adverse signs (since we'd have to stop the drug urgently). Otherwise, if he isn't settling, then a check would be best to make sure the ears are safe to have this treatment +/- test for what is present to determine if another treatment would be more effective for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try what you have subjected there is some reds in the ear and he doesn't want you touching it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Good, that would be ideal. Of course, if it is very red and sore, you can smear a small amount of the Ciprodex or OTC hydrocortisone cream onto the bit of external inflamed ear you can see. That will at least reduce some of that tendernesss but wouldn't risk it going down into the canal to cause adverse signs.

Take care & have a great day,

Dr. B.