Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I woke up and my dog was pooping in s sleep. He wont get up

Customer Question

I woke up and my dog was pooping in his sleep. He wont get up and move around. He was shaking for a bit. He is just laying down and his face is cold. He was fine 5 hrs ago.....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding to you.

Based on what you have written I am concerned your dog may have had a seizure or a stroke type event or another significant issue that has led to the profound weakness (anemia, electrolyte problem) or even a neck/spinal issue. I do wish I could narrow down this list for you, but to do so would require a physical examination followed by some lab testing.

If he is still this affected this morning, then I must recommend you get him in to be seen on emergency today. Hopefully his regular vet is open this morning and you can get him in as a work-in. This is not something that sounds like a wait-and-see approach would be a good idea.

Let me know if he has new/more symptoms or has changed. I so wish I could provide you an easy at-home treatment but I cannot. These symptoms are such that they indicate the need for him to be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took him to the emergency vet hospital and they examed him and it turns out he had tumors on his liver and internal bleeding. We made the hard decision of putting him down.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Oh, I am so terribly sad for you. I am sending you a cyber hug. With bleeding tumors not he liver there is, unfortunately, not much we can do. Please take care.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey