Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

8 yr old Rotty,neutered male. Has always had costo canned

Customer Question
8 yr old Rotty,neutered male...
8 yr old Rotty,neutered male. Has always had costo canned food and costco bones. In the past 2 months he is itching increasing worse. He has black scabs and dry skin mostly on the back end and legs but now I notice it is on her front chest now-I have tryed cortisone cream- the frontline plus, baths, brushing. lately his back legs are noticeably weak-I am not sure if this is related to the skin issue. His is big and stubborn and very difficult to transport to the vet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Bubba has skin problems. These are likely related to allergies and are common in dogs and can be very frustrating.

When I see a dog with skin problems, I usually think of the following things:

1) Environmental allergies. Treatments can include prednisone or antihistamines, but can also involve the following- frequent (3x weekly bathing to physically wash off the allergens), fish oil supplements, antioxidant supplements and topical cortisone sprays on the affected areas. You can use prednisone long term if you use a low enough dose, I would aim for about 0.5mg/pound of dog maximum per day. You can also consider allergy testing and allergy shots. These treatments are available through your regular veterinarian or you can consider taking him to a dermatologist.

2) Food allergies. These are also common. I would recommend a food trial with a hydrolyzed protein diet (Science Diet, Royal Canin and Purina all have varieties of these formulas.) These diets also have a variety of other ingredients that can also help the skin and reduce the severity of environmental allergies.

3) Fleas- it is unusual to see flea allergies manifest as paw itchiness, but anything can happen. I would be sure that you have good flea control on board such as Nexguard or Comfortis.

Another possibility to consider would be a hormone problem such as low thyroid or Cushing's disease.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. A

How is your dog tonight? Did you talk with your regular vet about different options for allergy treatments?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian