Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a aussie - pit mix that goes to the dog park

Customer Question
regularly - she had one...
I have a aussie - pit mix that goes to the dog park regularly - she had one dose of Heartguard and within a few days I seen her drooling - She also had whipworms that I treated weeks after that, she did a follow up 3 weeks later, each time she gets soft stools and a bit depressed for days
I skipped last months heart guard as I research whats best for her in treatments of all worm possiblities in view of her regular visits to the dog park and dog training classes
Can you give me a suggestion?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you are wondering what the best monthly preventative might be for her in terms of heartworm and intestinal worm preventative?

If you are looking for something that also helps control fleas, I would consider Trifexis, an oral preventative given once monthly that helps prevent heartworms, fleas, roundworms, whip worms, and hookworms. Or if you prefer a topical product, Advantage Multi also covers all of these same parasites but is a topical once a month preventative.

If you do not need flea coverage, then I would recommend Sentinel or Interceptor. They both are oral monthly heartworm preventatives with coverage for roundworms, whipworms, and hookworms. Sentinel also has an insect growth regulator that prevents fleas from reproducing but does not actually kill fleas.

Here are links to all of these products for more info. They are by prescription only, so you will need to get them from your vet, or get a prescription from your vet:

http://www.sentinelpet.com/

http://www.trifexis.com/

http://www.bayerdvm.com/show.aspx/productdetail/advantage-multi-for-dogs

http://www.drugs.com/vet/interceptor-flavor-tabs-for-dogs-cats.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping you today. Thank you.

I already knew all this - I was wanting info on whats a safe way to approach heart worm preventative and intestinal worms for a dog with the MDR1 mutation and has already shown a sensitivity to one dose of heart med and Panacur

Ok, I am sorry I didn't specify this, but if you think your dog has an MDR1 mutation, the usual drug everyone is concerned with is ivermectin, which is in heartgard. Although if given for a heartworm preventative in the appropriate dosing, should not cause a problem. Oftentimes people with herding breeds will avoid heartgard because of a concern over ivermectin and will use one of the other heartworm preventatives that I mention here. It is possible, however, to have a toxicity with milbemycin and selemectin (found in these drugs) with MDR1 dogs, but not at the doses used for heartworm prevention, you will see it at 10 to 20 times the dose given for heartworms. You can read more here: http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/problem-drugs

And you can also get your dog tested for this mutation if you think they have it for about $60 http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/cheek-swab

So I would consider doing the testing if you are really concerned, but i would strongly suggest putting her back on a heartworm preventative, as those I listed are used commonly in herding breeds. Now any dog can have an adverse reaction to any medication, but drooling alone may not be considered an adverse reaction and may have been coincidental if only seen one time.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago

Hello, just wondering if you got my last message and if the links about MDR1 mutation came through?

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian