Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My puppy tried jumping up on the couch and grabbed with her

Customer Question

my puppy tried jumping up on the couch and grabbed with her front legs, seems like she dislocated her shoulder or pulled something and couldn't walk. she fell on her side, and it seemed to have popped back into place and she began playing again. However, today it has popped out twice and then seems to go back into place and then she is fine. What can be done for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question. Sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this.

I would agree that you should see a surgeon. It sounds like the shoulder or elbow has a traumatic luxation (dislocation). These are both possible, but the shoulder is a bit more common. Most of them can be replaced and then strict crate confinement for a few weeks can allow things to heal fully. The problem is that we are likely dealing with torn ligaments or tendons. Those can take a good 6-8 weeks to heal completely. Each time it re-luxates, that's just going back to square one.

I would still see the surgeon to determine if there is something they could do. They may want to open up the area and suture any torn ligaments to get them to heal faster. I think more than likely it'll just be a consult and then an exercise restriction and physical therapy plan. It's definitely worth the consult, though, especially in a young dog like this.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.