Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog seems to be "leaking" urine, usually when she is

Customer Question

My dog seems to be "leaking" urine, usually when she is lying down. What are possible causes? She is over 10 years old, but otherwise still acts like a pup.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Pepsi and her urine leaking. I am happy to help you this evening. Usually a female dog of her age will have incontinence because of one of two reasons. First is a urinary tract infection so having her urine checked for infection is important. If there is an infection then antibiotics will treat this and the leaking should resolve. Second is just urinary incontinence due to age. This is responsive to hormonal therapy and your vet can discuss starting her on a medication such as DES or incurin that will help treat this issue. Those are the two things I would recommend ruling out. Infection first and if the urine looks normal then try an incontinence medication to see how she responds.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!