Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 4 and she has had a pink nose since she was one.

Customer Question
Before it was black, and...
My dog is 4 and she has had a pink nose since she was one. Before it was black, and recently in the last 2 days I noticed pink around her eyes especially around one eye and a little dark red mark the size of a small pimple next to her whiskers. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your girl's change in nose color from black to pink, and recently a change in the pigmented skin around her eyes with some raw areas present.

Thank you for the pictures, they are helpful.

The pinkish spots on the nose leather itself look normal other than their pink color rather than the nose's normal pigmented color.
Does she rub her nose excessively or does it seem uncomfortable?
The change in nose pigment is not at all unusual as long as it is not ulcerated, blistered or bleeding. Since her nose leather has its normal texture, and isn't raw then this could be a normal variation in color. Dog's noses can change color between black, or liver colored, and pink. This color change to a lighter, pink color often happens in the fall and winter. I'm not sure if it is related to the cold or lack of ultraviolet rays in the winter sun. During the summer it may darken back up.

The only time we need to be concerned about a change in color is if the leather starts to appear abnormal in texture (smooth and shiny rather than the normal textured appearance) or the spots become ulcerated or crusty. Those changes can signify autoimmune disease (body attacking itself), some types of fungal infections, zinc deficiency dermatosis in some arctic breeds, or cancerous changes like squamous cell carcinoma.

In her case because we are now seeing changes in the pigmented skin on her eyelids I am concerned that this is more than a normal variation in pigment.
I suspect that while your girl's nose may be experiencing a mild change in pigment, I am worried about the changes around her eyes. Ideally she should see her veterinarian for an examination and a sample for a fungal culture as well as a biopsy to look for autoimmune disease.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian