Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 15yr old lab.she can not get up a walk. Toook her

Customer Question

hi I have a 15yr old lab.she can not get up a walk. Toook her to vet they put her on sucralfate tramadol famotidine and cerenia she will not eat or drink.And canot walk. she had a dark runny stool also xrays and blood work they don't know really whats wrong. are these pills making it worse should I forse feed her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Maggie. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The pills constitute palliative treatment. Sucralfate is a "liquid bandage" for the gastrointestinal tract. Tramadol is a narcotic analgesic. Famotidine is an antacid. Cerenia is an antiemetic with some analgesic quality as well. It's unlikely that any of those drugs would worsen her but the tramadol could weaken her further. Yes, you can force feed such a patient but vomiting post-feeding would indicate feeding her intravenously in the hospital. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com. I'm concerned that Maggie has reached the endstage of a serious disorder and might not be able to be helped at her advanced age.