Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I hope you can help me. My 130lb Rottweiler had profuse

Customer Question
I hope you can help...
I hope you can help me.
My 130lb Rottweiler had profuse bleeding from her nose and mouth on Sunday and was taken to the ER. The night before, her right hind leg became very uncomfortable and she seems to have little control of her foot (like it has gone a little dead.
The ER vet suspects Rodenticide and thinks that the severity of the reaction would indicate that it was a primary not secondary poisoning. Her bleeding didn't slow, despite the first large injection of vit K and by 4pm that night she was re-admitted and spent 2 nights in the hospital. She survived and is weak and still sore in her back leg.
Heavy vit K doses, codeine for discomfort, sucralfate and Prilosec are her meds..
Here is my question
What quantity of either Ridenticide or human blood thinner would she have had to ingest for such a violent and gruesome reaction?
We don't use poison at all and neither do our neighbors. I suspect a malicious act and I am unclear on how much would have been given to her...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Rottie. Your question is difficult to answer because of the marked difference in toxicity between the common anticoagulant rodenticides. For example, note the different minimum quantity of baits necessary to kill 50% of 22lb dogs:

brodifacoum 50 grams

bromadiolone 2,200 grams

chlorophacinone 10,000 grams

difenacoum 10,000 grams

difethialone 1,600 grams

diphacinone 176 grams

warfarin 800g

Warfarin can still be prescribed for human use but newer anticoagulants have taken its place. In dogs, initial doses of just 0.1 mg/lb daily have been suggested. Clopidogrel (Plavix) should be a consideration as that drug is now more commonly prescribed to people. There's no substantial evidence supporting its use in dogs, however, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be an intoxicant. In cats, just 1/4 of a 75 mg tablet once daily is the usual recommended dose. In humans, the primary adverse effects reported with clopidogrel have been bleeding related. In a major pre-clinical study major bleeding occurred in approximately 2% of patients treated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian