Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 16 year old lhapso apso all of a sudden could no longer

Customer Question

my 16 year old lhapso apso all of a sudden could no longer walk. He was weak in his legs but still could walk. Last Friday he stopped walking and I helped him into his bed and he hasn't been out since. On Saturday he was very weak and couldn't even lift up his head. We tried to feed him and he was evidently hungry but could only eat while down. He can lift up his head now. His front legs can move, even though still can't stand. His back legs are completely powerless. We put him in diapers even before since he was incontinent. And just now when we were changing his diaper it seems that his genitalia is swollen. We cannot hold him because he probably have arthritis and it hurts him to be held , so we haven't been able to carry him for quite some time now. So we cannot take him out to a doctor. Any idea as to why the genitalia might be swollen and anything we can do? thanks!!!!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is unable to walk. Based on your history, I would be very concerned that he has blown a disk in his back. This will make them paralyzed in the hind end and they will urinate and defecate on themselves. This also reduces circulation in the hind legs and pelvis area.

Can you send a picture of his genitals so that I can see what part is swollen?

Also, since he seems to be in so much pain, I would strongly recommend that you consider toughing out the pain for the car ride to take him to your vet.

A different possibility is that there are veterinarians who can make housecalls. They will travel to your home to examine your dog and help you decide on a treatment plan. I would google search "house call veterinarians your city and state" for ideas.

Please send a picture so that I can help you and your dog this evening.

Thanks,

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your reply.... he was walking fine and no apparent trauma. he just laid down and so I helped him walked back to his bed. He wasn't able to control his urine and poop to start with. WOuld the continual lying on his stomach and peeing into the diaper/basically laying on top of the diaper create an infection in his genitalia cause the swelling. I have attached the pictures but sorry they are not better...
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the added information. I would agree that laying in his diaper is what is causing the swelling of is genitalia.

This is really a problem because we are now talking about something that makes a dog have a poor quality of life.

Blown disks can go without warning with minimal activity, because the disks are dry and cracked even before they rupture.

Here is a link to a detailed discussion on disk disease in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anything i can do to help the swelling? i have just given him some antibiotics, cephalaxin 250mg capsule, of which i gave him roughly half....
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I would give the rest of the Cephalexin (250mg total), wash the area with hand soap and pat dry. Allow it to air dry for about 15 to 30 minutes and then liberally apply human baby diaper rash cream such as desitin. Give the cephalexin once every 8 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your pup this evening? Does his skin look better on the antibiotics?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda