Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

GOT A MALE AND FEMALE SHIT-ZU PUPPIES MALE IS STRONGER AND

Customer Question

GOT A MALE AND FEMALE SHIT-ZU PUPPIES MALE IS STRONGER AND FEMALE WEAKER OVER THE PAST DAY OR SO THE FEMALE HAS SEEMED POORLY NOT EATING AND GAGGING LIKE SHE WANTS TO BE SICK AND HAVE NOTICED PINKING ON HER SKIN UMDER HER FUR AT ALL JOINTS SHE HAS NO ENERGY AND DOESNT KNOW WHAT SHE REALLY WANTS UP AND DOWN TRYING TO LIE IN DIFFERENT SPACES SHE DOESNT NORMALLY USE KEEPS LICKING HERSELF AND WANTS TO EAT HER BROTHERS FAECES HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHATS UP WITH HER
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need to help her.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question. I'm so sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you presented them.

Inappetence has too many possible etiologies to list in this venue but whatever the cause, a young pup will need to be force fed lest it becomes dehydrated, electrolyte imbalanced, and starve. If gagging is followed by vomiting, her vet will need to prescribe an antiemetic such as maropitant so that force-fed food stays down. If such treatment isn't helpful, imaging (X-rays with barium, e.g.) may be recommended to see if the pup were born with a congenital anomaly predisposing to her gagging.

Erythema (redness) at her joints suggests a polyarthritis - an unusual finding in such a young pup but when present suggests sepsis - a bacterial infection that has gone systemic and also landed in her joints. Her restlessness suggests a painful pup which can reflect the pain of polyarthritis but also pain elsewhere and so her vet should thoroughly examine her in order to better understand the complete picture.

Coprophagia (stool eating) is seen more frequently in puppies but most eventually outgrow it.‭ ‬Puppies may indulge in coprophagia as harmless investigative or playful behavior and owners must be cautious not to inadvertently reinforce the behavior by giving the puppy additional attention when it consumes feces.‭ How old is your pup, please? May I have an update on her, please?