Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

WE HAVE A SMALL WESTIE THAT KEEPS SHAKING NO APPETITE AND

Customer Question
WE HAVE A SMALL WESTIE...
WE HAVE A SMALL WESTIE THAT
KEEPS SHAKING NO APPETITE AND CRIES SHE WE TOUCH HER.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Deja. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

It appears you are not online and available to discuss your question about Deja. I'm so sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question is available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Vocalizing when approached or lifted, shaking (a pain response), and appearing lame on both hind legs (ataxia/drunken sailor?) is highly suggestive of degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") in a 3 year old Westie. Supportive evidence of a disk also includes difficulty jumping up or down or navigating steps, a change in posture such as holding the neck stiffly and head lower to the ground and a "hunch" in the back as well as a change in behavior - a normally social dog acting aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog acting "clingy". X-rays of the spine can be helpful in identifying a disk but often times MRI is necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian