Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Took my 10 month old golden retriever with me to my parents

Customer Question

Took my 10 month old golden retriever with me to my parents on vacation. It's been 3 days he has only nibbled at his food maybe 2x. He is still his usual self and seems fine and his drinking water fine just wondering if he could be depressed by being in new surrounding. He always ate regularly at home the same time our other dog does a German Shepard who he really looks up too could this be part of the problem too cause he's not here? What can I try to get him to eat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B replied 1 year ago.

Hi Keith,

Sorry to hear your puppy isn't acting his normal self. It is unusual for a 10 month old, growing golden to not be interested in food much. Yes, it is possible stress is playing a role here, but at his age, I can't help but worry about something medical. Any soft stool (diarrhea)? Any vomiting at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No none he's as playful and energetic as usuall
Expert:  Dr. B replied 1 year ago.

The first step is to see if you can entice him to eat before we get worried about anything medical. You can feed him lean meats -- cooked chicken breast, cooked lean hamburger meat, even cooked fish. Stay away from anything high fat. The point is to test his appetite. You may try just putting a little lean meat mixed into his regular dog food. By keeping with lean, you should be able to keep his GI tract healthy (not cause any diarrhea by adding this new food). If you switch foods altogether (like buy a different brand or switch to canned food), you risk the possibility of causing some diarrhea just from the food change.

One of my favorites to offer (because it's so easy) is to buy pre-cooked chicken strips (like fajita strips) in the frozen section at the grocery store, making sure it is unseasoned or only lightly seasoned. Then you can just heat up a strip or two in the microwave in just 30 or so seconds. Be sure to test the strip with your fingers before feeding it to make sure it doesn't burn his mouth. You can break it up into pieces in his food and see how he reacts.

Another option, if you parents have chicken or beef broth at home, is to add a little to his dry kibble and warm that up slightly in the microwave. Warming releases the aroma to entice his appetite more.

Let me know how this works...