Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an English bulldog 10 weeks old he was fine but this

Customer Question
Hi dr. Peter I have...
Hi dr. Peter I have an English bulldog 10 weeks old he was fine but this morning wake up tired eat a little bit and then throw up a little, during the day he only eat very little only drinked water and about 10pm throw up a lot and what it came out was he's food but bigger kebles. Don't want to eat and just look tired and wanting to go to sleep.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Bella is not feeling well. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she have diarrhea?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

5- Can you take her rectal temperature?

1- no diarrhea she did twice but normal after she vomit.
2-she did not I don't know if maybe I dindnt see it but not that I know.
3- just very tired she's just laying down and sleeping
4- the gums I just checked and they are pink5- I use a baby thermometer 100.6Also she has the first set of shoots and I'm supposed to take her to her second visit this coming Friday I'm super scare.
She's playfull now she don't want anything.

1- I am confused, is she playful or lethargic (no energy)?

Thank you for the picture, she is so cute. Give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Please help me I'm desperate I don't know what to do.
I'm even crying I'm afraid she can die

Friend, Bella being lethargic (no energy) and not eating is simply a consequence of not feeling well. The big question is: Why is she vomiting? Vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do until she is seen by your family veterinarian in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Give her 1-2 teaspoon of honey, karo or pancake syrup directly into her mouth to avoid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Then, give her 2-3 hours without food or water. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. If possible, blend the food and give her small amount with a dropper.

4- Follow up in the morning with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Note: Her temperature is normal (99.5-102.5 F).

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I took her to the vet this morning they did test and everything came out negative, they send her liqui tinic 1 ml twice a day by mouth shake it before use, they send her flagyl 250ml 1/4 tablet by mouth every 12 hours, panacur 1 ml one time they gave her at the vet one veer is injection, subQ fluids and did fecal exam came out negative.
Can you tell me for your experience what it sounds like?
They told me to stop the blue buffalo grain free puppy food in giving her and for 5 days just give her boil plain chicken with rice and then start giving her science diet puppy gradually.
At least she's not vomiting anymore but she still weak not playfull at all.
Just laying down her poop was ok but she just did about an hour ago a little bit not hard poop kind of a creamy poop.
Give her a little water and throw up water a little.
I don't know what to do.
She at least is walking yesterday was almost like fainting when she throw up.
Can you give me a diagnosis based on your experience please they said she has to improve there is not parasites but she still weak and don't want to eat not even the chicken with rice. I been giving her by syringe.

Did the vet do a complete blood work and xrays?

No just what I just send you.

I am sorry, I am confused you said they did test and everything came out negative. What did they test?

Thank you. Give me a few minutes to type.

The only test they did was a fecal examination; this is only going to tell them if Bella has parasites. There are times however that the puppy could have parasites and it is not picked up by the fecal analysis. For this reason the vet send her home with panacur which is a dewormer. The cerenia is for the vomiting and the flagyl is an antibiotic but also treats a parasite called Giardia.

In response to your question, I can not give you a definitive diagnosis without a hands on examination and additional testing. If she is not doing better I would strongly recommend having her re-checked by family veterinarian. Discuss with your vet about doing complete blood work and xrays. I believe once they have these test done they will find the exact underlying cause for her symptoms. Any additional treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime keep her on the medications as directed by family veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter what about the liqui tinic?
How much should I wait to start seeing results if not to take the next step.

Liqui tinic is a vitamin supplement.

I would not wait longer than 24 hours. If she is not better by tomorrow I would have her rechecked.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian