Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I had my bichon groomed and they shaved her too close. She

Customer Question
I had my bichon groomed...
I had my bichon groomed and they shaved her too close. She was all red on her neck. Most of it has gotten much better, but there is one spot that is still an open sore. I had used burt's bees spray for hot spots on the neck, and it helped a lot. But not on this spot so far. Should I wrap it, or is the air good for it?
Any advise? Thank you, Carolyn
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, Carolyn. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as Abbey isn't scratching or rubbing the area, it would be preferable to leave this last sore open to the air. This will facilitate it drying out and healing (where they tend to fester and worsen with bandaging). Otherwise, I would suggesting bathing the lesion with a dilute antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, salt water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, do pat it dry and you can then apply the spray. Further to the spray, you can also apply Neosporin (avoid the one with numbing agents in it) to the wound to help prevent infection and speed healing. And of course, if she is trying to itch the area, we may need to keep her back nails short and use baby socks to block her attempts to traumatize the are and prevent it healing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abbey. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian