Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has been sick 9-10 days.. symptoms are vomiting no

Customer Question

my dog has been sick for about 9-10 days.. symptoms are vomiting no appetite weight loss lethargy. parvo seems likely but also a lot does NOT fit with the characteristics of parvo. I been giving pedialyte and she is drinking willingly. also now she shows interest in food and took a small bit but didn't swallow it; this is still a huge improvement. now my other pup is vomiting and sleeping a lot....oh Lord its awful not knowing what to do and having no money for a vet. Advice please also she has lost so much weight she is only bones now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dogs.

I would agree that Parvo sounds likely. That is especially true if she is unvaccinated. I think it's her age that has allowed her to survive this long and what makes it less of the textbook parvo case.

To get her through the next few days, she needs food. I would get some canned puppy food and blend it with water. Try to get 1/4 can into her every 4 hours. She may vomit some of it, but she should still keep a decent amount down. Calories getting down to the gut and intestinal cells are what is needed to get them to heal. Continue offering pedialyte and water as you have been doing.

To help with the nausea, there are 2 over the counter meds that can help:

1. Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- give 10 mg twice daily

2. Meclizine- give 25 mg twice daily for nausea

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.