Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a Chihuahua and she is about 91/2 years old she has

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** and...
Hello my name is***** and I have a Chihuahua and she is about 91/2 years old she has had 5 liters of pups. For the last month or so I have noticed something that Iam not so sure is going on in hopes that you may be able to help please. She will go in circles and then from side to side painting and seems to not be responsive when I call her by name. Its almost like she is nervous and can not sit still. I have tried holding her close to me and sitting still with her but she fights to get away? When these spells come on they last anywhere from a few hours to the next day. Night before last she started having one and my Husband took her and made her sit with him holing her and about two hours later her little body calmed down but she seemed to not have any control of her little head as it kept moving up and down and back and forth at a fast pace still not responsive to me calling her by name or talking to her. My husband just recently got laid off from the Oil Fields so we do not have the kind of money to just take her to a doctor. Please could you help me out on what might be going on with my Little Dog and let me know what I need to do? Please and Thank You. God Bless You.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Your Chihuahua's circling and change in mentation (mental status) indicate encephalopathy (brain disorder). When restrained she's demonstrating a head tremor the etiology of which also lies within her brain. The problem may be in the brain itself such as brain tumor but also can lie outside the brain such as when we see a poorly functioning liver intoxicate the brain (hepatoencephalopathy). I understand your financial constraints. Her case would entail diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and if nothing untoward were found in such testing, an MRI would be necessary. You'd be looking at a considerable expense with a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org). Unfortunately, there's nothing in a conservative manner that will be of value for your Chihuahua. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian