Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Today our male neutured Lab (8 yrs old) started itching

Customer Question
quite a bit and I...
Today our male neutured Lab (8 yrs old) started itching quite a bit and I usually give him Benedryl and it works great. But today was his monthly Revolution treatment (we gave it to him about 2 hours ago) and I didn't know if it was safe to give him Benedryl this evening or not. He's 85 lbs and in good health. Benedryl helps with his itching wonderfully when we've had to give it to him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Yes, benadryl tends to be quite safe in dogs and cats.

Typically, the dose is 1mg per pound. Although, at 85 pounds, I would be reluctant to recommend giving him 3 tablets of 25mg benadryl. Generally, most vets recommend weaning up to that dose. So, starting with 1 or 2 tablets every 12 hours as needed, and then giving more if no improvement.

I would add that most dogs with bad allergies, will not respond enough to a antihistamine like benadryl. Another option is to try Zyrtec (NOT Zyrtec-D). It is another over the counter antihistamine. Get the 10mg tablets and give 1 tablet every 12 hours. If neither is helping enough, really consult your vet about throwing some prednisone or other steroid treatment in to the mix to get him comfortable.

Lastly, no problem at all giving benadryl at the same time as the Revolution treatment.

Hope that info has helped.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director