Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I came back from the Emergency vet this morning as my 11.5

Customer Question
lab could not stand up...
I came back from the Emergency vet this morning as my 11.5 lab could not stand up. They gave him 3 shots, pain, anti-inflammatory and a b12. He has been home for 6 hours. He has not stood up and when I lift him up it seems to pain him to sit down. He is not eating or drinking. He is scheduled to go back for a second glucosamine shot in 3 days. How long can I leave him like this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I'd like to help with your question. Can you tell me a bit more.

Did the veterinarian do any X-rays? Are all 4 legs affected? Was this something that came on suddenly or has he had trouble getting up and moving for a while?

Dr. Stacy

They did X-Rays but of his chest and stomach as he also has a tumor. They said they could see a portion of the hips and that the bones may have 'bridged'(?) He has been slowing down for a few months but nothing like this. I do not mind having him have a few days of bed rest but I cannot have him not eat or drink. I think he is still a little drowsy from the pain med. I am just not familiar with timelines. How long can he lie on the floor? Not eat? etc.

Where is the tumor? The timeline really depends on what the underlying problem is... For example, if he has a tumor in his spleen then he could be week from blood loss and low blood pressure. Without quick, surgical intervention these dogs can die very quickly... hours to a few days. But if he is not moving from an orthopedic (bone/joint) or nerve problems they can last for weeks and weeks. Even not eating they can linger for a month. Given that your vet xrayed the chest and abdomen and not specifically the hips, I suspect they felt the tumor was more responsible for his condition than anything like arthritis, but then the glucosamine injections target arthritis. Did they tell you more about the tumor?

It is in his chest (inside) and I am starting to think the two are unrelated. He is seeing the oncologist tomorrow. I have also heard it may take days/weeks for his legs/hips to regain motion but is that acceptable for dogs to be immobile for that long? He has always been so energetic. I do not mind having him on the sofa for a few days if that is acceptable.

Hum, chest tumors can cause coughing and breathing problems, but not necessarily make them go down like that... but the oncologist will know more when he sees the X-rays.

In short, yes, it is fine for them to be immobile as long as they are receiving good nursing care so that they don't urinate on themselves or develop sores. As long as you are able to get him up to go to the bathroom and he is moving enough to shift positions... so that he isn't always laying on the same side and positions... it is fine to give him some time to recover.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian