Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was bitten by most likely a Copperhead two weeks ago.

Customer Question
She was put on Meloxicam...
My dog was bitten by most likely a Copperhead two weeks ago. She was put on Meloxicam 7.5 and the serum was drained from the swelling on her head (32cc). She was put on Cephalexin as well and the bite site was mostly cleared up. Yesterday, it seems that she was bitten again. I gave her Meloxicam again and Benedryl as well as put her back on Cephalexin. This morning the swelling was down considerably. This evening she has a very swollen area on her head again and some swelling on her eye. This AM I gave the the antibiotics and Benedryl again. I just gave her a Meloxicam. Can I give her the Benedryl too? She's eating fine and throat isn't swollen I have put hot compresses on the swollen area and it seems to help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sonnit. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

You can give meloxicam, antibiotics and Benedryl together if that is what you are asking. How much does Sonnit weigh? The dose of Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, so 25 mg for a 25 pound dog, every 4 to 12 hours.

If her gums are pink, if she can swallow food and water, if she can breathe with her mouth closed, she sounds like she is not in immediate danger.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

She weighs 157 lb. -her gums are a little red rather than the normal pink

Red is better than pale.

Big dog! I would give 100 to 125 mg of Benadryl every 4 to 6 hours until the swelling goes down.

Let me know what else I can answer. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question.

Let me know how she is doing.

How is Sonnit doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sonnit. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian