Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 23 pound 10 year old wire fox terrier is on

Customer Question
hydrocortisone He receives 10mg alternating...
My 23 pound 10 year old wire fox terrier is on hydrocortisone He receives 10mg alternating with 7.5mg every day And has been on it for years I noticed this morning when giving him breakfast that he has not received his steroid for three days Should I do anything special or just restart the med tonight?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Normal
0
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regard to restarting the medication, you do not need to wean him back onto it. Instead, you need only restart it as normal tonight after he has had some food (since we don't tend to give this on an empty stomach) and should have no issue.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you I had heard about steroid crisis if you stopped the pill so that was my concern

Hi again,

You are correct that if they are stopped cold turkey, then we can see reactions in some dogs. Still, with the dose being quite low and your not mentioning any changes in those first 24 hours, this isn't really a worry for Archie.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian