Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chocolate lab had a seizure about 2 months ago He's been

Customer Question
My chocolate lab had a...
My chocolate lab had a seizure about 2 months ago He's been taking phenobarbital for it He got snake bit 2 weeks ago and was taking antibiotics and prednisone Yesterday he had 2 seizures and during the night he had 2 more Why all of a sudden is he having so many and what can I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you know what kind of snake it was?

When did he last have a phenobarbital level tested?

Any bloods checked after the snake bite to check liver function?

No. Don't know what kind of snake. Possibly water moccasin Dr Gowdy asked if possibly copperhead. No didn't check blood or liver
It happens when he's sound asleep laying on his side every time. When he starts moving around he craves cat food and cleans out all their dishes then drinks a lot
If Monday will get here without him dying I'll get him to check all that

Thank you,

First, the increased appetite and thirst afterwards isn't abnormal since the seizure will use up quite a bit of energy/nutrients of the body. Otherwise, I am glad to see that you do plan to have him seen on Monday. And in that case, I would suggest testing a general blood panel (especially liver parameters) and phenobarbital level. This way we can determine if the venom has caused any lasting damage that is predisposing him to recurrence of seizures. As well, by checking the phenobarbital level, we can determine if the dose is enough for him and also whether we have wiggle room to increase the dose and help counter this. Depending on the blood sample findings, your vet can adjust that dose and/or use an alternative anti-seizure medication to manage this for him.

Finally, we need to keep an eye on the seizures he has having just now. If they have been very violent or continue, then we'd need to have the local vet dispense Diazepam (if they have not already) rectal tubes so that you can treat the seizures over the weekend. Hopefully, you already have these on hand, but may need to ring your vet (or see the local ER vet) for this if they have not and you see any more.

Overall, it sounds like the venom has potentially acted on the neurological system or may have caused changes to the liver or clotting function of the body. Therefore, we'd want to have these assessed as soon as possible so that we can adjust his medication and treat to again reduce the seizures for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hershey. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian