Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has watery stool and bleeds from her vulva. Why?

Customer Question
I have a female Saluki...
I have a female Saluki named Zorro. She is one year and 6 months old. She gave birth to 6 puppies yesterday. My questions are:
1- zorro is eating every 2-3 hours with a big appetite which worries me.
2- she goes to toilet frequently and with watery stool and bleeding from her vulva?
3- while feeding her puppies, she breathes fast and with tiredness.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

1- She is feeding a lot of puppies so eating more frequently and ravenously is very normal at this stage
2- The bleeding after delivery is normal as long as it is not a large quantity and should taper over the next few days to a week. You can add white rice to her meals to hopefully bulk up the stools but having a litter is stressful and can cause colitis. If this is not clearing up by Monday then I would advise your veterinarian to evaluate a fecal sample to ensure that she doesn't have any parasites that she could potentially hand down to the new litter and make them ill. If she does they all will need treatment
3- Making sure she has milk in all mammary glands, she is nice and pink with her gums, and checking a temperature to ensure she is not running a fever. In addition, if she shows signs of panting, pacing, anxiety, trembling this can be low blood calcium which can be an emergency in a new mom. This process is exhausting and can be normal but if she has any additional symptoms then please consider a veterinary exam.

Besides the diarrhea everything you mentioned can be normal at this stage, she just whelped yesterday and is adjusting to being a new mom at a young age and this will take some adapting...

Today one of the puppies wasn't able to drink milk , we tried to give him milk replacement
PetAg one but zorro preferred to drink it and i did more for her like 30ml.
do u think its bad ? do u think its the reason behind her diarrhea ?

It is possible that this is the cause of her diarrhea. Also the replacement milk at this age needs to be in a nursing bottle or tube fed because the puppy will not be able to suckle from anything else at 1 day old

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian