Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 poodle that is wheezing coughing and throwing up

Customer Question

I have a 10 poodle that is wheezing coughing and throwing up what is the problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This occurs only at night when she is going asleep. As a puppy she had kenal cough
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not help you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Is it a soft or harsh cough?

Any changes to her breathing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her harsh cough and wheezing happens only at bedtime after she has been asleep. When she coughs she throws up. This has been going on for 2 days.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if we have a sudden onset harsh cough that is leading to retching and vomiting on top of wheezing, then our infectious agents (kennel cough, parainfluenza, etc) are our top suspects. Others we have to consider include parasites (lung and heart worm), heart issues (though the cough is often soft, though usually just at night), or lung disease (ie pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, etc). Just to note, if she had kennel cough as a pup, then she will have some immunity and this may be why her signs are limited in their appearance.

Now with this all in mind, since she is older and there is a bacterial concern, we do need to tread with care since antibiotics can be required to clear this for her. Though for the moment, I would suggest some supportive care to ease her signs. Specifically, you can soothe her throat to reduce her cough/retch/vomit using a mild cough suppressant. Dog safe options include honey+glycerin cough syrup (with no drugs) or even plain honey. Alternatively, you can use Robitussin DM but only that one (Do read the labels and avoid any syrups with cold medications like acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen phenylephrine, etc; since these area ll dog toxic). You just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat. When using Robitussin DM, we tend to give 1 milligram per pound of their body weight every 8 hours. Finally, one more option if you suspect any nausea with this would be to use Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours) since it will coat the throat and reduce stomach upset.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for her signs at this stage. Still, based on the time frame, the cough character, and her previous history; we'd be most suspicious of an infectious agent here. So, we'd want to use the above supportive care +/- soft foods to reduce throat irritation at this point. But if it lingers, then we'd want to have her local vet listen to her heart and lungs to rule out those other concerns and dispense antibiotics to help her immune system settle this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about ***** *****. How is everything going?
nekovet