Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is vomiting aad and shaking what can I do

Customer Question
for him...
My dog is vomiting aad and shaking what can I do for him
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is he able to hold any food or water down?

Does he seem uncomfortable when you squeeze his belly?

How many times has he vomited?

Vomited several times large amounts. He is drinking water and I took his food away. He is trying to lay and get comfortable but is awaken by like a reverse sneeze motion

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that he has vomited several times and is shaking. These symptoms are concerning as shaking is an indication that his belly area is uncomfortable. Without examining him, giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be causing his symptoms:

- Ingesting something out of the ordinary that has caused an upset stomach
- Eating a foreign object that has become stuck in his stomach or his intestines
- Pancreatitis which is an inflammatory disorder of the pancreas which can make dogs quite uncomfortable
- An organ disorder such as kidney or liver disease
- A viral or bacterial infection in his stomach/intestines

At this point watch his water consumption very closely. If he is unable to hold down any water and/or is not drinking very much, he really should be taken to a vet right away. Discomfort in the abdominal area and vomiting up everything he drinks is an indication that he should be examined by a vet.

I can understand that taking him to vet is not always possible therefore if you cannot get him to a vet, I would recommend holding him off of food for at least 12 hours to give his stomach some time to settle down.

Water free choice is fine, though you can also give him some pedialyte or low sodium chicken broth to drink

You can also give some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give him 2.5 mg for every 10 pounds of weight every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter.

If he starts to hold down liquids then you can feed him 12 hours after the last vomit. My recommendation would be to feed some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breasts with cooked rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. Feed this until he is back to normal. This is very easy for him to digest and should help reduce inflammation in the stomach/intestines.

Overall if he cannot hold down liquids at all then he really should be taken to the vet as he will need fluids to prevent him from getting seriously dehydrated.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian