Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog accidentally took benazepril 5mg and lasix 50mg she

Customer Question

My dog accidentally took benazepril 5mg and lasix 50mg she weighs about 22 pounds the medicine was for my other dog and she grabbed it and treat before I can give it to mount it out what do I need to do we should be OK
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just email or text me please don't have a lot of money . But I'm worried please help

Hello again Ruby and thanks for waiting.

Where a dog has swallowed drugs of any sort they should not have then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drugs that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

However if you do not manage to induce vomiting then things may not be so bad ... see below

1. Lasix as you know is often prescribed for dogs, the dose rate is normally quoted as between 1 to 3 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight to be given orally one to four times per day. This mean a top dose for Sandy is { 22 pounds x 3 mg } = 66 mg. Clearly then the 50 mg is well within the normal dosing range so I would not expect any adverse effects. She could be a bit more thirsty for a few hours but that's about it.

You can confirm the above dose rates and read more on how this drug is used in dogs HERE

2. The same thing goes for Benazepril , the dose rate being up to 0.25 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight = top dose of 5.5 mg in your case.

Read more HERE

3. Of course you should keep a good eye on her and if any adverse symptoms do develop then take her to an ER vet without delay. This would be unlikely though since both these drugs she took were within a regular dose rate.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank u this helps very much I know what to do now thanks

Hello again ruby ,

Very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Sandy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Ruby,

I am just checking back in to see how Sandy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the benazepril and lasix incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.