Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog and another dog got into a bottle of dasuquin. Didnt

Customer Question

my dog and another dog got into a bottle of dasuquin. Didnt see which one ate some, but it appears 20 or so are missing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, the ingredients in Dasuquin are very safe and it will not be systemically toxic when taken in large amounts. They may get gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea otherwise they will be fine. I would keep an eye on them, if they develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean them back into their regular diet. Keep them indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have them checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter