Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11.5 year beardie is limping intermittently over the last

Customer Question
hello my 11.5 year beardie...
hello my 11.5 year beardie is limping intermittently over the last two weeks. When she does limp it has beeb less severe yesterday and today but she has been taking medixoyl for the last week. Also the onset of the limp seems to come on after she has gone on a slight incline.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

THese signs can be typical for arthritis or a partial rupture of the ACL if this is the hind leg. IN either case, this lameness will come and go, een with the Meloxicam on board. If this is a hind leg, have your vet xray looking for severe arthritis and perform a test called a "drawer sign". If Bella is positive for the drawer sign, this means that the ACL has a partial rupture and nothing except surgery will resolve this.

If the lameness is in the front, your vet can xray for arthritis or possibly an unstable disc in Bella's neck or back that can cause this.

At any rate, without further diagnostics, you will nt know for sure what will help Bella past this. The Meloxicam will decrease pain but will nto give a long term solution.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Jackie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian