Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just brought my elderly mini daschund home from the

Customer Question
emergency animal clinic. he had...
I just brought my elderly mini daschund home from the emergency animal clinic. he had a rabies shot yesterday and this evening began breathing a little quickly I took him in because I was afraid it was a reaction to the shot. They said it was not a reaction, took abd x-rays and found gas where it should not be , all bloodwork was fine They suggested the x-rays be repeated in 12 hrs. to see if gas has moved. They gave him fluids and a shot for pain. I asked for very very low dose and whatever they gave him was .1mg instead of .2. we have been home for two hours and the dog cannot lay down. He was sound asleep in their office waiting for results, now he is hyer and restless. Keeps walking around the house and cannot be comforted. He was far better before the shot, I called them back and they said to bring him back if I was worried but that dogs react differently to pain meds and he may appear "stoned" for awhile. I paid 850.00 for this and he is worse. I just want to keep him home and see if it wears off because they are adamant that it was not the vaccine and it was "nothing we did". Will this wear off ? It was administered at about 11:45 it is now 2:20am
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Please answer now
also, is it safe to give him Benadryl the little flaps on his lips are ever so slightly swollen, again I think from the vaccination, He weighs 19 lbs, so I would give him half of a 25mg. tab. (12.5mg)
11/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Donna, my name is***** and I will help you.

The Benadryl dose you want to give Gus is OK. It normally has a sedative effect.

But because he is so restless I am concerned that he might actually be in pain. Dogs in pain often pace and cannot settle down. Perhaps the pain injection was not enough and it may not be effective. Most pain injections last 6 to 12 hours. Give him the Benadryl. Try rubbing his tummy gently. See if he calms down. If you cannot get him to become more comfortable I would call the Emergency Clinic and ask to speak with the vet on call. Tell him/her how Gus is behaving. They may ask you to bring him back. It is important that you do that if asked. I'm concerned about that gas in his abdomen. If he does settle down be sure that you do take back there or to your own vet for the xray. Please let me know how he now. Don't give him any more benadryl after his first dose.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian