Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 1.7lb yorkie is 12 weeks old and he received s booster

Customer Question

my 1.7lb yorkie is 12 weeks old and he received his booster today. The vet said his size made him at risk for a reaction to the booster & said call if he has a bad reaction. He is lethargic & his breathing is notably more labored than normal. I have given him 1.75mg of benadryl, but I am not sure if I need to take him to emergency care.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is dRB and I would be happy to help you with this.......that is the correct dose of benedryl and you can redose it in 8 hours. If you used benedryl liquid you have to be very careful because the liquid can contain xylitol and other harmful substances so hopefully that is not the case. As long as there is no facial swelling, itching or vomiting then your little guy is fine. I personally always give injectable benedryl to my patients intramuscular prior to their boosters. That way I do not have to worry about an anaphylactic reaction. Please let me know if you have further questions.......Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.