Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 14 month old lab just ate and swallowed the sleeve off of

Customer Question

My 14 month old lab just ate and swallowed the sleeve off of a long sleeved T-neck short. Should i incuce vomitting and if so, with what?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If this ingestion just occurred, it would be a good idea to induce vomiting. This does have a higher potential of causing a foreign body obstruction. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide given orally. Usual dosage is 1 tablespoon (15ml) per 15 lbs of body weight. That can be repeated once in 10 minutes if no vomiting occurs. If she vomits up the sleeve, that is good. Just monitor for any further problems and take her to your vet if you see any further vomiting, lack of appetite abdominal pain or bloody stool. If you cannot get her to vomit, or you don't see the sleeve in the vomit, I would take her into your vet. They may be able to induce vomiting with other medications or may want to see if they can get the sleeve out with an endoscope, if available to them. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.