Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just swallowed half a rambutan seed. Will she be ok,

Customer Question

My dog just swallowed half a rambutan seed. Will she be ok, or is further medical attention needed please?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen? { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was about 15 minutes ago at this point. It was half the seed definitely because I pulled the other half out of her mouth. They are a tropical fruit.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Although I am by birth Scottish my home now is in Mindanao Philippines, I often have Rambutan in my fruit bowl so I have some idea about the seed size. Anyway I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The first thing to say is that neither Rambutan or the seed are toxic to dogs as such.

2. It is possible that half a seed may pass along her tract without problem and as it is half a seed and open the digestive juices may soften it to some degree. But you have a very small dog so there is also some degree of chance that it may cause an intestinal tract obstruction which is a very serious situation which would require extensive surgery.

3. Given the above one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation as a precaution is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then you may be able to recover the seed. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

4. But if you fail to recover the half seed by inducing vomiting then all you can do is to monitor your dog as it is possible that the half seed may pass naturally. However if any odd symptoms then occur which might indicate an obstruction then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay, expected symptoms would include vomiting, lethargy, inappetance and signs of abdominal pain.

Probably 50 : 50 ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Clare,

I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rambutan seed ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Clare,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?