Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

Why is our 7-year-old German Shepherd barking at our

Customer Question

Why is our 7-year-old German Shepherd barking at our 16-year-old cat? He barks for approx. two hours nonstop. I have tried separating them and this doesn't work either. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. German Shephards are very astute and intuitive dogs.. What was Charlie and Ivy-Anne's relationship before this? Were they very bonded or did that just tolerate each other. My initial thought is that she either did something to him to really tick him off OR she had some kind of instance (e.g. tremor, seizure, abnormal behavior) that he is trying to alert you to. Has she been having any abnormal symptoms?

If not, this may just be a strictly behavioral issue. I would continue to separate them in shorter intervals to see if the barking subsides. I wouldn't associate any negative trigger to this such as spraying the water/vinegar. If this continues, I would call your regular DVM and request he/she prescribe a mild sedative for Charlie to help you and continue with the separation intervals while he is more relaxed.

Hello again..If my advice helped you with Charlie and Ivy-Anne, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

Please take the time to rate my response to your question? Thank you:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett