Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm fostering a 7 week old puppy from the local dog shelter.

Customer Question
I've had him since he...
I'm fostering a 7 week old puppy from the local dog shelter. I've had him since he was 4 weeks old without any real story. For the last 2 1/2 weeks he has been passing blood - at first his pooh was runny and black with red blood and has now eased off to sometimes runny & sometimes just soft yellow mucus gelatinous and pink. I've had him on rice and chicken for the last 2 weeks and every time I introduce a little something else he worsens. I've been to the vet assigned by the rescue twice and all they say is it's nothing to worry about. If it was my own dog I would not be happy with it. Could you help please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your foster puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The first thing to do is have him checked for parasites, by taking a stool sample to a veterinarian and having it examined microscopically. Even if he has been "wormed", he could have parasites; not all parasites are worms and no one wormer will kill all worms and parasites. In a young puppy with bloody diarrhea, I would check for Coccidia, a one celled parasite. If he has Coccidia, he needs a medication called Albon to treat the diarrhea and the parasite.

If a microscopic exam of the stool has not been done, that is the first thing to do. If he did have this done, then I would treat him with medication such as metronidazole for the diarrhea.

Let me know how he is doing, and if I can answer anything else. Rebecca

How is your foster puppy? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian