Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My mini schnauzer drinks large amounts of water.just drank a

Customer Question

My mini schnauzer drinks large amounts of water.just drank a whole bowk upon waking. She is white and has very pink skin. She has a lot of mole like tumors on her body..even one on her ear. Our vet has prescribed children's benadryl for her problems with licking until she developed
Es a hot spot looking sore. The inside of hernind legs have become a brown color both skin and hair. When she naps she appears to leak a liquid. It does not smell of urine. Help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your sweet gal has a few problems that may or may not be related. This increased water consumption could be due to a disease called Cushings Disease that will also cause skin problems. Diabetes can also cause excessive thirst and , if your girl is not spayed, a Pyometra can cause excessive thirst. A Low thyroid condition can cause skin conditions cauising the brown skin due to excessive scratching. I urge you, as a proud owner of a mini schnauzer that I LOVE and as a veterinarian, to take your gal to a veterinary Specialist. This could be complicated testing for these diseases and then trying to regulate them.

It is very important that your gal have a battery of tests done to determine what is causing her issues...these may be related and treatment could ease her discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****