Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My small 1 1/2 yr old shih tzu had a bloody poop that I took

Customer Question

My small 1 1/2 yr old shih tzu had a bloody poop that I took her to Vet and after paying over $800 for xray and blood work and nothing found, came home with shaved area at her rear end and she showed sign of discomfort and looked at his tail as soon as walking and jumps back to her pillow to sit,next day she peed and pooped watery once , I gave her the antibiotic pill 1/4 twice aday , she was eating and drinking light chicken and gerber food as I was suggested next day she only peed once and I stopped antibiotic so she would start pooping after 4 doses, she hasn't done no pee nor poop in the last 40 hour! I am worried sick, she is still uncomfortable when she walks and I think its the shave area discomfort. otherwise she has eaten and drank, and seems ok.,I touch her genital area but she seems ok, pleeeaase help,btw she is a completely indoor dog and uses her pad with no accident and before this last 40 hours she only went to pee once a day but in large amount ever since coming from ve
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this id Dr. Gabby. Was the medication she was given Metronidaole? is she trying to have a bowel movement and nothing is coming out? Or is she more just uncomfortable from the shaving? Is she eating and drinking today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it's generic version of that , it's called metronidazole 250mg , I only have her 4 times 1/4 each and since she hasn't had bowel movement I stopped since yesterday. She is not comfortable to even stand on her pad ! On other notes she plays and she also eats and drinks, I was very concern that she didn't pee almost 42 hours but I finally took her outside for a walk (which she never does on regular bases) and she finally peed on pavement, I'm still concern why she doesn't feel comfortable to use her pad any more after they shaved her behind , and also I'm afraid if she will suffer from kidney infection if she doesn't pee as often as she used to!
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you,

I would start taking her for a short walk three times a day to make sure she urinates.

If her gums feel dry she is probably dehydrated. You can give her water, low sodium broth, or children's pedialtye drink with a syringe or eye dropper every hour until her gums are moist. You can also add water or low sodium broth to her food to increase her fluid intake.

For the area that was shaved, if it is not red and just sore I would buy some over the counter hydrocortisone spray or benadryl spray and use that three times a day.

If it is red and irritated you can mix over the counter neosporin with over the counter hydrocortisone cream 50:50. Apply a thin layer of that 2-3 times a day. It is not toxic if she licks it.

Hopefully that will get her through the weekend.

How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm worried that she has not had bowl movement in the past 72 hours although she ate well yesterday and last night too, her mouth is not dry , only went to pee once all day yesterday even though I took her outside. She still plays and tries to catch the ball and squeaky toys ...I gave a little pear to her hoping it would promote her bowl movement , what can I give her to do that better and any over the counter medication ?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

I would not be too woried about not having a bowel movement unless she is straining to go and nothing is coming out or is she stops eating.

If she just started eating a lot yesterday it can take 3 days from yesterday for her to have a bowel movement.

To help her have a bowel movement you could give her a couple teaspoons of real canned pumpkin.

You could also mix a teaspoon of Miralax stool softener in her food. That is an over the counter human product.

Definitely call the vet who saw her and give them an update as well.